The world’s largest commercial Wi-Fi network iPass, has revealed the results of the broadest and most in-depth research into global public Wi-Fi hotspot deployments through its Wi-Fi growth map.
The data, from analysts Maravedis Rethink, shows there will be 47.7 million public Wi-Fi hotspots deployed worldwide by the end of 2014.
The map shows that over the next four years, global hotspot numbers will grow to over 340 million; nearly one Wi-Fi hotspot for every twenty people on earth by 2018. This compares to one Wi-Fi hotspot for every 150 people today. Further Wi-Fi growth map highlights include:
- France is the “country of Wi-Fi” in 2014 with the most hotspots in total, followed by the USA and the UK. By 2018 this will change to the USA, followed by China and France.
- Europe is the “continent of Wi-Fi” with 50% of the world’s Wi-Fi estate in 2014. By 2018, Asia will strip Europe of this title.
- Today, China has 5 times more commercial Wi-Fi hotspots than any other country.
- Community Wi-Fi has been driven by Europe and then North America, but Asia will catch up in 2018.
- 22.7 million Wi-Fi hotspots are enabled for roaming between different provider networks today; this number rises to 289.3 million in 2018.
Flexinets subscribers of the Global WiFi Service can now access hundreds of different networks and more than 13 million hotspots using a single, secure login based on the user’s existing corporate credentials.
For more information on how to start using the service please contact us.